Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Sweet voice
kind heart
sincere, loving, generous
your life has been your lesson on love to me.

I will never be another’s daughter; 
you will never be another’s mother.
Forever, I have been blessed with the gift of you in my life.
Each moment of my life you have been my north star;
a light to guide me through my darkest moments
and a beacon to shine on my proudest achievements.

As a child you were my world,
your sweet smells, your soft skin, your strong arms welcoming me
warming me, shielding me from the bad times.
You made being poor fun and funny.
You made what we didn’t have an adventure .

I compare myself to you.
Wonder if my daughter's feel the same warmth, love and security
if they have the same fierce feelings of devotion,
to me, that I had and still have toward you.
I promise to try to be a better mother,
a stronger person, 
a more compassionate daughter.
My one wish is that I could be the person you deserve to have in your life each day.
Someone who understands what a privilege it is to witness your life.
Perhaps you have not invented something that will change the world,
or solved a mystery of the ages, but never doubt,
your life is important.

You matter mother.
To me, to my children, to everyone who knows you.
You are an inspiration and a joy to be around.
If you ever feel as though you are not being appreciated, loved, adored;
understand, it is only my inner limitations that prevent me from showing you 
every minute of every day
what an incredible, loving, beautiful person you are.

Even with you as my model, 
I don’t know exactly what a mother is supposed to be,
Because, I think, it is important to find 
your own inner maternal voice and calling.
Every day I am working out how to improve my skills and
enhance my own efforts.
But if a soft, gentle, kind, wise, loving person, 
who always has your back,
is part of it – you are the best mom in the world.

I love you mom. 
You were the first person I ever loved and the first person who ever loved me.
I have never been cursed with a lack of faith
or wondered if there is a God.
I never wonder if God loves me,
You are evidence of his love for me, every day.
By placing such a tender hearted, loving, beautiful person, in my life,
as my mother,
God demonstrated his presence and care for me.

Thank you, God and 
thank you mom, for always being yourself,
and for not just being there for me,
but everywhere, for me.  
For cushioning every fall, every mis-step
illuminating every accomplishment
and loving me
the way you do.
Happy Mother’s Day!

For Gloria - The Greatest Mother, ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment